GPOPS-II - MATLAB Optimal Control Software
GPOPS-II is the next-generation of general purpose optimal control software. GPOPS-II is a new MATLAB software intended to solve general nonlinear optimal control problems (that is, problems where it is desired to optimize systems defined by differential-algebraic equations). GPOPS-II implements the new class of variable-order Gaussian quadrature methods. Using GPOPS-II, the continuous-time optimal control problem is transcribed to a nonlinear programming problem (NLP). The NLP is then solved using either the NLP solver SNOPT or the NLP solver IPOPT. GPOPS-II has been written by Michael A. Patterson and Anil V. Rao and represents a major advancement in the numerical solution of optimal control problems. GPOPS-II is available at NO CHARGE TO MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA OR ANY U.S. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INSTITUTION. All others are required to pay a licensing fee for using GPOPS-II. Licenses of GPOPS-II can be purchased by clicking here.
Features of GPOPS-II
The following are some the key features of GPOPS-II:
- Allows for an extremely general formulation of the optimal control problem.
- Allows for inclusion of integral constraints and highly general boundary conditions.
- Complete first and second sparse finite-differencing of optimal control problem to compute all derivatives required by the NLP solver.
- The latest advances in mesh refinement including hp-adaptive pseudospectral methods.
- Gaussian quadrature integration methods for rapid convergence.
- Highly accurate costate estimation.
- Inclusion of the NLP solver IPOPT.
- Interface for NLP solver SNOPT included (but SNOPT itself is only provided to University of Florida or U.S. Government users)
- No third-party products other than MATLAB are required.
Latest News! The journal article on GPOPS-II was just accepted for inclusion in the ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software! The article can be found by clicking here. More information about the methodology used in GPOPS-II can be found by reading the relevant articles in the open literature by clicking here.
Fees for Obtaining and Using GPOPS-II
The fees for using GPOPS-II are as follows:
- For Use in a K-12 or University Class: NO CHARGE
- University of Florida Employees or Students and U.S. Federal Government Employees or Institutions: NO CHARGE
- Academic Research, Not-for-Profit, or Commercial Use: LICENSING FEES APPLY (CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE LICENSE PAGE)
Image Courtesy of NASA.